Trust The Chef
Available Friday, Saturday, Sunday for lunch only (Thursday by request)
As much as we dislike admitting it, when it comes to food, the chef does know best, and we trust his knowledge! The talented team in the kitchen create a 4 course degustation-style tasting menu each day, (Amuse bouche + 4 course set menu, with options for main course + petit fours).
The inspiration behind the menu is to showcase the bounty that we harvest from our local region, paying particular homage to the natural systems at play. The pastures, streams, coastline, forests, gardens and orchards are a proverbial natural grocery store for us to seek produce, and inspiration. Looking further afield, our suppliers are people we know and trust, who follow similar guiding principles and practices. We believe food is a fabulous medium for people to bond over, share stories, and break bread. We would be thrilled to share this menu and our concept with you.
General Booking Information ::
- The lodge will require the names, how the group will be arriving and dietary requirements of all members of the party prior to arrival.
- Seating start from 12 noon, with the last seating option to start lunch is at 1:30pm.
- Under 3 years of age there is no charge (assuming no food required).
- 3-11 year olds will be charged at 50% of the full rate.
- We consider 12 years old + to be adult.
- Should you have a party of 10 persons or more on Mondays, Tuesdays, or Wednesdays we will open the restaurant.
- A 15% surcharge will apply to all Day Guest final bills
Being a small property in a rather remote part of New Zealand we ask that you please pre-advise us of any dietary requirements or food allergies that we can alert our kitchen and restaurant to.
For vegetarian, pescatarian, and guests with sensitivities to lactose or gluten, please ensure to note these requirements when making your booking. We require at least 48 hours to accommodate these restrictions.
For those who prefer a plant-based menu we do have this option available, however we do require at least 5 day’s notice
Please understand that we do our absolute best to cater for these requests.
We are thrilled you have selected Wharekauhau to celebrate. We have a curated list of ideas to enhance and take the celebration to new heights (excuse the pun). See the below guide for cakes, flowers, and other ideas.
- To guarantee a private dining room in advance there is a charge of $250 per party
- Parties larger than 10 pax are required to have a private dining room
- Outside of 72 hours prior to seating there is no cancelation/change fee
- Reducing numbers of a booking less than 72 hours out from the booking date and time will result in a cancellation fee of 50% of cancelled persons.
- Cancellations on the day will result in 100% cancellation fee
- A valid credit card is required to secure all bookings
- Parties of 6-12 persons are required to pay a 50% deposit of the booking value to confirm their reservation
- Parties of 12+ persons are required to pay 100% of the booking value on confirmation
- If you are arriving via car please park in the carpark to the right of reception and make your way to the lodges front entrance where you will be welcomed.
- We ask that guests do not arrive before 12 noon unless pre-arranged with the lodge.
- We ask that guests depart the property no later than 4.00pm, unless arranged prior with the lodge.
- If you have arranged a private driver please pre-advise the lodge of their name, contact details and time they are due to collect you from the lodge.
- No outside pets are welcome at the estate
Please ensure your party are dressed in smart casual attire befitting of one of the worlds best luxury lodges. We also ask guests to be conscious of our in-house guests that may be around the lodge during the dining experience.